Note: Due to hurricane damage in Steinhatchee, the Hooked On Heroes fishing trip for September 30th 2023 is postponed. Save the date for April 6, 2024.
Attention Columbia County and surrounding areas: Hooked on Heroes needs your help!
You've likely already heard of Hooked on Heroes on the radio or through a friend but we are a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization and we take veterans fishing at absolutely no cost to them.
We go on two trips a year and provide our veterans with everything they need for a stress-free day out on the water. This includes coffee and donuts upon arrival, a rod and reel to use, bait, a bagged lunch PLUS a chicken and rice dinner when they return. It's been a huge success and the veterans have truly enjoyed their experience. None of this would be possible without the help from our community and we greatly appreciate any- and everyone who has helped thus far! We are completely volunteer based, and we always need volunteers and donations.
What types of donations do we need?
* Monetary. Donations can be made directly to a board member any time or through our website: https://hookedonheroes.com/donate/
* Fishing Gear. Any fishing equipment (enough for 200 or more Veterans) or other items to add to their fishing bag such as sunscreen, sunglasses, etc.
* Door prizes. At our events we like to offer door prizes for our Veterans to win. Past prizes have included coolers, home décor, jewelry, gift certificates, gift cards, etc.
* Gift baskets. When we attend events such as the Fiddler Crab Festival or various other events, we try to raffle items to raise money. These have included a basket and even a Yeti cooler filled with fishing items. We've also raffled fishing rods and other items all donated from businesses and others in the community.
* Captains. We need people with boats willing to donate their time to take our Veterans out for the day. We provide you with 15 gallons of gas, a bagged lunch, usually live bait, drinks to take out and of course coffee, donuts, and a chicken and rice dinner. If you're a captain and would like to volunteer, please contact Ron Cadle at (386) 688-3216.
* Volunteers. We can also use volunteers in general. It's a lot of work to keep this running and every hand helps.
* Veterans. Our Veterans are why we do this. We appreciate you and we thank you! If you're a Veteran and would like to go on one of our trips or if you know of a Veteran that you think would love to spend a fun day fishing with other Veterans, please have them contact Carolyn Cadle at (386) 288-4445.
If you'd like to get involved with a great, rewarding cause in any way at all, please please contact Ron Cadle at (386) 688-3216.
You can also find us on Facebook at Hooked on Heroes Live Oak. Join our page to see photos and experiences from past events and stay up to date about upcoming events.